Friday, July 15, 2005

Heading back home

After two months in China, I am heading home this evening. At last!! I will be taking the ferry from Jizhou Port to Hong Kong this evening. Will stay overnight in HKG, do some shopping(for my sister) and then catch the flight out to SFO. Should be fun.

Its been an interesting 2 months here...my perception of China and the people has changed to a certain extent, I think I understand their way of working better now. And I also see some similarities with my countrymen.

Although I am not 100% staisfied leaving at this stage in the project,I have no choice. My visa expires on Jul 19 and I have to exit. But I am confident the team will finish the project on time and I am only a phone call away. The next week promises to be stressul at work though.

Yesterday, I took the team I worked with and a few colleagues from the US office to dinner...one of the few western-style restaurants in Zhuhai. It was a fun time..well, I had fun, I hope they did too ;) It was also a good opportunity for me to get some informal feedback on the course of this project.

Over the course of this project, I have tried to put myself in other people's shoes. Without divulging too much of the project, I will just say that it involves transitioning development effort from one IT development center to another. It is just not transfer of technical stuff but also the business side of things. That has been quite the challenge.

I actually volunteered for this project(although i did not know then that it would involve travel) because I wanted to step outside the bounds of my comfort zone. I know I do not want to continue to be a Software Engineer all my life, not that I am saying there is anything wrong with that. Its just not exciting enough for me. I want to explore my skills at people management, project management and product management..and I think this project is the first stepping stone.

Got to wrap up some stuff before I head out. My next post will be from the US. Happy journey to me!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home